My name is Julian and soon, I will start as a doctoral candidate at ETH Zurich within the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems program. I will be supervised by Marco Hutter and Katherine J. Kuchenbecker. I obtained a Master’s degree in Robotics, Systems & Control in 2020, and a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering & Information Technology in 2017, both from ETH.
Recently, I worked as an applied science intern at Amazon Web Services and finished my master thesis, which I conducted at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Sebastian Trimpe‘s Intelligent Control Systems group. During my studies, I spent time at the National University of Singapore, conducted research at the Autonomous Systems Lab, and was part of a focus project, within which we developed an autonomous car.
I am interested in robots that are not only moving in but actively impacting their surroundings. My main field of research lies in the intersection of control, perception, and machine learning, intending to enable mobile robots to perform complex tasks. Starting as of July 2020, I am working as a research assistant at the Robotic Systems Lab at ETH, mainly in the field of construction robotics, specifically on autonomous excavation and manipulation with a walking excavator.
Before my time as a doctoral student, during my Master’s degree I mainly worked on (robust) MPC and its approximation, LiDAR perception, computer vision, deep neural networks, computer graphics and programming. Practical projects involved the control of an robotic manipulator, as well as the development of an autonomous car.
- 07/2020: Start as a doctoral candidate within the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems at the Robotic Systems Lab (ETH Zurich) under the supervision of Prof. Marco Hutter.
- 05/2020: ETH medal 2020 for my Master’s thesis and the Willi-Studer-Prize for my Master’s degree. This is something I would have never expected!
- 11/2019-04/2020: Start as an applied science intern at AWS under the supervision of Peter Gehler.
- 09/2019-10/2019: Work as a student researcher on topics emerging from my Master’s thesis at the MPI IS.
- 01/2019-08/2019: Start of my Master’s thesis at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in the Intelligent Control Systems group, under the supervision of Sebastian Trimpe.
- 09/2018-01/2019: Semester project at the Autonomous Systems Lab under the supervision of Cesar Cadena, Julia Nitsch, Daniel Dugas, and Roland Siegwart.
- 07/2018-08-2018: Participation in the Climate-KIC summer journey, a summer school for sustainable entrepreneurship.
- 01/2018-06/2018: Semester abroad at the National University of Singapore.
- 09/2017: Start as a Master student in Robotics, Systems & Control at ETH.
- 09/2014: Start as a Bachelor student in Electrical Engineering & Information Technology at ETH Zurich.
Publications & Conferences
- 06/2020: Participation at virtual ICRA 2020 and presentation of our paper “Safe and Fast Tracking on a Robot Manipulator: Robust MPC and Neural Network Control“.
- 02/2020: Our paper “Safe and Fast Tracking on a Robot Manipulator: Robust MPC and Neural Network Control” got accepted to the IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L) and will be presented at ICRA 2020.
- 08/2019: Participation at the Conference on Field and Service Robotics 2019 (FSR19). Our paper “Airborne Particulate Classification in LiDAR Point Clouds Using Deep Learning” was presented by my co-author Leo Stanislas.
- 06/2019: Our work “Airborne Particulate Classification in LiDAR Point Clouds Using Deep Learning” got accepted to the Conference on Field and Service Robotics 2019 (FSR19).
- 10/2017: Our paper “Autonomous Electric Race Car Design” was presented at the Electric Vehicle Symposium 2017 (EVS30).